Monday, August 1, 2011

Sorry, August, but I don't really like you....

Nothing personal of course, but you haven't been very kind to me in years past so I don't hold much hope for you this year.  Don't get me wrong, there is a glimmer of hope deep, deep down that this year will be different, this year will be a good one, but that feeling has a tendency to be smothered by the realisation of, well, reality.

If you will remember, it all started back on that windy, blustery, are-my-ears-blocked day 23 years ago.  You know how it went.  That was the day my life was changed forever.  Irrevocably one could say.  The day my innocent, naive, childlike, life-will-never-change-because-it-is-so-perfect-and-how-could-it-get-any-better world was shattered like an expensive crystal wine glass on cheap ceramic tiles.  That was the day mum decided to leave my dad.  

Of course, I'm the first to say now that it was for the best and how grateful I am that it happened because it shaped me into who I am today and I like the me I am and all that and I wouldn't change anything.  But at the time I was devastated.  Heartbroken.  Emotionally scarred.  

Eventually I got over it but not the point.....

2001 was a good year, as you well know, you came through with the goods for which I will forever be grateful.  Out of character for you but I am grateful none-the-less.  That was the year I asked the LOML out on a date and he said yes and from then on it all went smoothly along the 'happily ever after' path.  Well, it did after I realised that it wasn't me he didn't like that night, it was the crowds - I now know he doesn't cope well with that many people in such a small space.  Pity I didn't know about that before I asked him out to watch the fireworks in the city along with most of the population of Brisbane.  Oh well.  It ended well and that's all that mattered.

A couple of years later you let me down again when the LOML decided to take on an electric power saw and came out second best.  No need for details but let me just say I found the hospital in our new town very quickly and I can drive very quickly when needed and my repertoire for swear words is amazing when the situation requires.  I never knew I knew some of the words I used that day.  Anyway, it all turned out okay in the end.  Took a good year of recovery but it's true what the LOML says, chicks dig thumbs (no thumb, not so sexy).

And then last year.....well, last year is still so very fresh in my mind and in my heart that it's hard to put into words.  Last year you took my dad and that just wasn't fair.

....

So August, this year I don't think I can deal with anything bad or too life changing (unless it's for the better - you know, like winning lotto - I'll take that one).  This year, please just carry on like July or September or even February (nice an quick and over before I know it).  

I'm counting on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...