Monday, August 15, 2011

Festival day

Yesterday the LOML and I went to the annual Languages and Cultures Festival held in the park in the middle of town.
I didn't realise how diverse the population of this region is - people from over 120 countries live here and more than 100 different languages are spoken.   I'm blown away!  I knew we had a lot of different cultures in our town but I didn't know it was that many - fantastic!  
I am acutely aware that some of our townsfolk don't like this diversity for one reason or another and show their dislike through both subtle and blatant forms of racism (unfortunately the LOML deals with this on a daily basis - for some reason these people seem to have the view that different equals bad) but they are the ones missing out.  The festival yesterday showed that.
It was a glorious day - the sun was out, the wind was gentle and the mood was just right for a festival!  There was dancing and singing and food and performances and displays and food and stalls and workshops and more food....!  I'm telling ya, I could have eaten my way around most of the world right there if only my stomach had more room!
I can't really pick my favourite part of the day - it was all great - though the Sudanese lunch we had was divine (couldn't tell you what it was but it was very yummmm!!!) and the smiles and laughter of the Saudi students were contagious!
I can't wait til the festival next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...