Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tooth and nail

I'm a nail biter.

Always have been, always will be.  I suffer serious nail envy when I see ladies with beautifully manicured fingernails - even more nail envy when it is on a young girl!

I have had times in my life where I have beaten the habit by pure will power alone but most times I need a bit of help - a little distraction if you will.

When I was a youngster mum would paint my nails with some sort of anti-bite polish that would taste absolutely disgusting.  I'm sure it was a toxic, cancer-causing poison.  But it wouldn't work for long regardless of the claims on the bottle.  A couple of times dad took my hand out of my mouth and stuck it in cow poo.  Charming.  Didn't work either.

My latest creation - I totally love the colours on this
tea-towel.  I'm also pretty happy with the edging!
About eight years ago I had some acrylic nails put on to get married.  That stopped the biting while they were on but the cost of maintaining them soon made me go au-naturale once again.  Surprisingly my brain must have liked the look and decided to keep it that way because it was a long time before I had to take measures to stop the (occasional) chomp.

Every now and then I find myself with my fingers in my mouth again - usually when I'm reading a book or watching telly or when I am stressing about something (major sign right there).  It drives the LOML nuts.  Last year I took to wearing gloves whenever I wasn't doing something with my hands.  Or I would sit on them.  Both good ideas in theory but I had a hard time actually remembering to do them!

Then I had the brainwave of doing something with my hands to keep them busy so I couldn't put them in my gob.  Hallelujah!  How long did that take!!!  So I pulled out the old crochet hook and got down with some serious crochet action!  

Now, while the LOML is flicking channels like a madman (and driving ME crazy!  What is it with men and tv remotes - just leave it alone already!!!!) I am crocheting the edges of tea-towels, face washers, hand towels and bath towels, creating squares and rounds to make knee rugs, blankets and the like.  And then the other day I discovered Ravelry and a heap of things I now must make!!!  

So for now my fingernails are safe and I get some beautiful end products to give to the special people in my life!  Win/Win!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a picker. I pick my cuticles and my face if I don't have something to do with my hands. That's one of the reasons I knit. I haven't picked up my needles since Las Vegas, and my face looks terrible.

    Oh, and I can spend all day browsing ravelry. I love that website!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...