Sunday, January 16, 2011

When I grow up I'm gonna be.....

I went to university because it was expected of me. 

I got high grades throughout high school and then topped it off with a high OP score at the end of year 12. 

I was destined for bigger and better things.  I had the world at my feet.

If only I knew what I really wanted to do with my life. 

So I went to uni and completed a degree I had picked out of the guidance counsellor’s ‘uni course’ booklet in my 30 minute meeting 2 weeks before applications closed.  World at my feet. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad I did my degree.  It opened my eyes to a whole new world and helped me grow in so many ways.  But it wasn’t what I really wanted to do (truly, 15 years later, I still don’t know).  All I got from it was a H-U-G-E HECS debt that took me a good 8 years to pay off and a piece of official looking paper with a gold stamp and my name on it. 

True, I do have a number of skills that I didn’t have before, but I am yet to use them in a paid ‘working’ capacity.

And true, I did meet the love-of-my-life where I worked while studying and got the happily-ever-after thing that so many of my friends from then are still looking for.

So I must say, all-in-all everything worked out just fine for me in the end. 

I still don't know what I want to do for work but I’m okay with that.

I'm happy and that's the main thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...