Saturday, February 5, 2011

I've got a bun in the oven


Well, actually, I've got eighteen buns in the oven!
  
I love fresh bread.  I love the smell, the taste, the way it looks..... ......mmmmmm!

one of my first loaves...

My first 'real' job (full-time job) was in a bakery.  As much as I didn't like the early morning starts (but LOVED the early finishes!) there was nothing better than parking in the street and walking into the shop with the delicious smell of freshly baking bread scenting the air.  Even now, many moons later, I still smile at the thought and my mouth starts watering.

Towards the end of last year I started baking my own bread at home.  I found it very hard to eat non-bakery-baked bread once I left the bakery so went for a number of years not eating it.  Then I had the cravings and decided to give making it myself a go.

Initially I did it all by hand -measuring, mixing, kneading, proving and baking in my kitchen.  I must say I was blown away by the results (my expectations were quite low for my first-time home-bread-making efforts having never done it before).  Once I got some actual 'bread-making' flour instead of the home-brand plain flour from the supermarket the results were even better!
my new BFF
This year Santa got me a breadmaker and the novelty still hasn't worn off!  I'd have to be eating a couple of loaves every week - and that's probably a conservative estimate!  Not so good for the hip-line but without the preservatives of supermarket bread, I figure it's not as bad as it could be.  Talking to other breadmaker owners, they tell me the novelty will eventually wear off and I'll ease up on the bread.

I'm still experimenting with all the different breads and loaves and rolls and buns I can make - and loving every minute of it!  So too is all my family - they love me turning up with a hot loaf wrapped in a tea-towel.  It's a fight to see who gets the crust!

In the oven today are some rolls that I'm taking to a BBQ tonight.  I've played with the shapes a bit but regardless of their look, they are going to taste GREAT!

the finished product! yummm!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...