Thursday, May 5, 2011

Over it

Facebook that is.
Pic by Avantcard Australia (www.avantcard.com.au)
I was a late bloomer when it came to this marvelous, wonderful (sarcasm there) social networking tool, preferring instead to text or email or heaven forbid actually speak to the people in my life.  But I caved.  I gave in.  I succumbed to the peer pressure.    It was bound to happen eventually.  

It was great when I was first hooked - seeing what my much younger, tech savvy siblings were up to, getting in touch with old school friends and seeing what they looked like now and how many kids they had, joining groups, playing games, liking ridiculous pages....  It was also great for staying in contact with the family when the LOML and I went gallivanting around the world last year and keeping them up to date with our adventures.

But now I'm over it.  

I'm tired of the inane posts, the attention seeking posts, the don't-make-sense-to-anyone posts, the racist-bigoted-narrow-minded posts of people who should know better.  I'm tired of people I don't know, have never met and never want to meet wanting to be my friend.  I'm tired of the competition that seems to have arisen around how many friends you have.  But most of all I'm tired of the politics of not feeling able to de-friend a whole heap of people who I don't really want to see what I'm up to....

And so I started this blog. 

Without telling anyone.  

Except for those people I liked.  

Shhhhhh.......

Don't get me wrong, I still use Facebook.  

But secretly, in the morning when no one can see I'm logged in, and only to see what everyone else is posting - not to post myself, just to stalk.  

It's good for that.

2 comments:

  1. I have my Facebook account set so that it doesn't show I'm on even when I am. I would be simply trying to see what was going on with my friends, and people (almost always people I didn't want to talk to) would start trying to chat with me. Now they don't know I'm there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I need!
    How do I do that...?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...