Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Of macadamias and avocados and so forth

When the LOML and I first looked at this house with the intention to buy, it had sat un-lived-in and un-loved for months.  The grass was knee-high, the front gate was chained shut and the letterbox was full of junk mail.  

While waiting for the real estate agent to show up, we had a sticky beak around the yard, as you do.  


I fell in love in an instant.  


Well-established fruit trees were everywhere - orange, lemon, grapefruit, mandarine, fig, avocado, pecan, persimmon, apricot, mulberry, peach, nectarine, kiwi fruit, bananas, loquat, custard apple, lime, lemonade.....I was in heaven.  



It blew me away that this suburban block, tucked unobtrusively between two businesses in the 'rough' side of town yet still amazingly close to the centre of town, still had the feel of the farmhouse it once was.


In my heart I knew, this was my home.  The viewing we were about to have was merely a formality.

One of the mulberry trees just inside the front gate, absolutely loaded with fruit this year!
Right now, the trees are feeling spring.  I cannot wait until all these flowers burst their buds and bring in the bees.
That's the macadamia on the left, pecan in the middle, avocado on the right.
Some days I feel like the most fortunate person on the planet.

1 comment:

  1. These kids are checking our mulberry tree daily. Not long now. Your fruit tress are gorgeous, they would have sold me on the place too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...