Saturday, March 10, 2012

Loving the weeds

'Blasphemy!' I hear you say.  Well, call me what you want but I'm putting out my new theory - born from a lack of energy, motivation and enthusiasm but completely understandable once you hear me out. (hear me out, okay).

So it's been a while since I've been able to get down to the veggie patch.  Days, weeks, heck months even.  As you can expect, the weeds have gone crazy.  Every day as I walk down the back stairs or look out the back windows I am reminded again and again how completely lazy I am for not doing something about them sooner.  I am also reminded how often it rains here on the weekend - fine during the week, perfect even, yet Saturday has a tendency to herald a thunderstorm mid-morning followed by 48 hours non-stop rain.  Monday - fine.  Of course.

Today, today was different.  The sun was out for a start.  Glorious weather that it was - warm, sunny with just a hint of autumn in the air.  Divine.  At 4pm it was too nice to be inside so I ventured into the veggie patch - armed with a wheelbarrow and some new gloves - ready to take on anything coming my way.

Now is when I have to tell you my theory (OMG I hear you say, you took long enough!) - here it is....wait long enough for the weeds to grow to say, mid-thigh high and then when you go to pull them out, it's a lot less work because the whole 'survival of the fittest' thing has done it's work nicely and only the biggest survive, denying sunlight to anything below it.  Pull those suckers out and there is empty space all around!! Amazing!

Who'd have thunk that laziness pays off!!??!!!

Of course, the pulling out of these monsters is made soooo much easier following days of rain which make the soil nice and soft.  I know, I've done it the other way and there was nothing nice about that!

So there you have it.  What some would call utter laziness in the field of veggie garden upkeep, I call smarts.  Thanks weeds.  Loving your work!

Tomorrow should herald the planting of seeds and the fertilising of anything still surviving and left to live another day.  

Tomorrow could also be raining.  We'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...